The Best People In The World!

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Lola's Secret



There is an old saying that misery loves company and that is no more true for the residents of The Valley View Motel run by the Quinlan family under the wise old adage of 84-year-old Lola. Her goal is to help find a way to help restore hurting souls during the Christmas season. While strife remains between her own family members, Lola also opens up the hotel to strangers during Christmas and with that comes a host of other issues. I always say that sometimes it's easier to deal with other people's issues rather than your own because you are too close to see a clear solution and that seems to be the wisdom that Lola applies to those staying at the hotel. Each one has their own issues that they are struggling to overcome whether it's addictions, or simple relationship issues, Lola is hoping that simply being together can help them get past their problems and into solutions.

In the novel, Lola's Secret by Monica McInerney, it seems as though Lola's straight shooting and forward advice is often times what is needed instead of merely candy-coating a sympathy with her guest or family members. I love how well written and diverse the different characters are and how each of them thinks each situation that they are in, are generally worse than what anyone else is experiencing. Sometimes it takes working together to get to the heart of the problem and I think that through this fictional account of the Quinlan family, Lola is able to help each person in sometimes very unexpected ways.

I am always looking for a great Christmas book to read and while I have read similar books with storylines much like this one where a group of people are gathered together during unfortunate circumstances in the end, it all works out, this one has a bit more going for it. I love Lola's gumption and sometimes find that the older we get the wiser we become. It's often hard however to get younger people to follow such sage wisdom until they have exhausted all other attempts.

I received Lola's Secret by Monica McInerney compliments of TLC Book Tours and Ballantine Books for my honest review and think everyone will find something that they can relate to in this beautiful written novel. My only regret was that I wish the book was longer because you truly come to care about each and every single one of her characters she introduces in this novel. In my opinion, this one justly deserves a 5 out of 5 stars and I'll be looking for more from Monica McInerney in the future.

For more information about Lola's Secret, Monica McInerney, or where to pick up a copy of this book today, please click on the links below:


For more review from the TLC Book Tour for Lola's Secret please click here. 

You can also find Monica McInerney on Facebook by clicking here. 


2 comments:

  1. This one sounds really good. This is a new to me author, but she looks like someone I will enjoy. I adore Christmas books.
    2 Kids and Tired Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. "It's often hard however to get younger people to follow such sage wisdom until they have exhausted all other attempts." Oh how true it is!

    I'm glad you enjoyed Lola and her family. Thanks for being on the tour.

    ReplyDelete

Please share with me your comments. I love to know what touched you about this post or how it has blessed you in any way.